Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A Mod Podge Paint Chip Box

Do you collect paint chips like I do?  I don't know what it is about those little pieces of painted paper that make me want to hold on to them - I guess it is the decorating possibilities they represent!  

Anyways, normally my paint chips are scattered around the house because I have been too lazy to find a place to keep them never designated a place to keep them.  Today this is changing!  I used Mod Podge to transform a little vintage suitcase into a paint chip box!



I was so excited to start this project that I dove right in and completely forgot to take a good "before" picture! 


You can see the green suitcase in this picture - it's kind of ratty looking but I think it was just well loved in a previous life. I added black paint around the edges of the opening to make a border around the scrapbook paper, which I added later.


By the way, for this project I am using black craft paint, Mod Podge, Krylon Preserve It, and an assortment of brushes, cutters and other tools (aka my pancake spatula).

After finishing the black border I painted the entire bottom of the case black and began "Mod Podging" (is that a word??) the scrapbook paper in place.  I used the spatula to smooth out the bubbles before it dried.


Once the paper was in place on the top I added the flower, which is really three flowers and a center glued together with Mod Podge, and the little label that says "Paint Chips".  Because I printed the label on my ink jet printer I first gave it a good coat of Preserve It to make sure the ink didn't run after the Mod Podge went on.  In this picture the final coat of Mod Podge is still wet.

The inside of the case definitely needed an update!


So I painted the side walls back and added more scrapbook paper and a top coat of Mod Podge.  Then it was off to sit in front of the fan because I am not the most patient person.


After the front and inside of the case was finished I used my Mod Podge to add more scrapbook paper to the back.


And now my paint chips have a home of their very own!


I am linking this project up to the CSI Project's Mod Podge Challenge, and to Todays Creative Blog's link party, to Someday Crafts: Whatever Goes Wednesday to We're Organized Wednesday at Organize and Decorate Everything and to Paisley Passion's Thrilling Thursday. Go on over and see all the creative projects that have been entered! 



Get Your Craft On Tuesday








Organize and Decorate Everything




11 comments:

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

So pretty and functional. I love that combination!

Annie said...

I love your paint chip saver suitcase! I need to find a place for my extras. I have a set of chips in a baggie in a pocket of my purse that are the colors I've used in my house. It's handy to have them when I'm out shopping for things such as towels.

Lindsey @ Better After said...

Great idea! You made that so adorable. Thanks for stopping by my blog, and to answer your question about removing those designs, I hear a razor blade does the trick nicely! :)

Michelle@Somedaycrafts said...

Keeping paint chips around in one place is such a great idea! We have too many painting "opportunities" and having paint chips on hands is nice!

pointsforcreativity said...

I am OBSESSED with paint chips. I have made four projects in the last three days alone with paint chips I have had lying around for a year now. I can't resist them when I go to the home improvement stores. Beautiful way to keep them.

Neassa said...

What a great little case! Love what you did with it.

Leanne said...

I love it. You did such a good job. I'm hosting We're Organized Wednesday through Saturday and I would love for you to join the party. There's a great giveaway too. Hope to see you there.

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

DARLING!!! I am hosting a Thursday Linky called Thrilling Thursday. I would love for you to stop by and link up!
Thrilling Thursdays @Paisley Passions
~Lori

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

Thanks for linking up! Hope you will stop by the party again next week :)

Leanne said...

Great idea. I think I forgot to tell you I featured you at the last party. Thanks for joining We're Organized Wednesday. Hope to see you again this week.

Mod Podge Amy said...

This is such a great idea - you should feel proud of how organized you are!