Friday, August 20, 2010

What do you collect?

I am a collector.  I can't explain the joy I feel when I find the perfect little thing to add to one of my collections.  I collect old silver plate Ronson table lighters, blue & white china (what southern gal doesn't love blue & white china?), vintage ladies compacts, crystal and glass pitchers, and yes, even buttons.

Much to my husband's dismay I also collect craft supplies, table decorations (like the fifteen huge wrought iron candelabras that take up a massive amount of storage space in his our garage), paint samples, and other random things that to some (like my husband) might seem unimportant.

Today I am digging out some of those vintage compacts that have been hiding in a drawer for way too long, and display them in my great room.


Red is my most favorite color - on my lips, in my wardrobe, and scattered throughout almost every room in the house - so the little red compact is my most favorite one!  (I thought you should know that.)


To make my display I gathered the following:
 
  • a tall, footed vase from my overly crowded dining room closet
  • a candle from my candle-stash
  • an old purse mirror given to me by my sweet mother-in-law
  • a beaded rosary my daughter brought to me from France. (Yeah, my daughter has been to France, me?  I occasionally get to the Alabama beaches!)






I put the candle in the middle of the vase, surrounded it with the compacts, and added the purse mirror and rosary for added affect.

I love the way the compacts look through the glass and next to the cream colored candle.  It is like it was always meant to be this way.

Are you ready to see how my new compact display looks in the great room?  I found the perfect spot - on the server underneath the painting of my husband's grandmother when she was a teenager.  I think she would be proud!





 
So, what do you think?  I love displaying the things I cherish in fresh new ways.  Do you have a collection hiding away in a drawer?  Why not pull it out and display it in a creative way?



4 comments:

derb63 said...

I love it! What a great idea.

Jaime said...

so glad you are doing this. You always have the best ideas! :-)

Ricki said...

Boy - you sure are talented at collecting and arranging. I luv it!

Alison Marie said...

very nice! I am one of your new followers!
www.classycolumbusdesigns.blogspot.com