Wednesday, September 8, 2010

How to dress a candle for fall...



Last night I was sitting in my red room staring at an ivory colored candle when  it hit me, why not dress that candle for Fall? So, off to my husband's closet I went (while he was asleep, of course) and I found an old flannel shirt in just the right colors!




I grabbed my sissors and began to scheme about the best way to dress a candle.


I cut off one of the sleeves, then cut the seam part away.  Once I opened out the sleeve (or what was left of it) I had enough fabric to cover two candles, but I was tired so any other candles will have to wait until another day to get dressed.


I ironed all the wrinkles out of the piece I was going to use, then ironed in  a 1/4" hem around the top and the bottom.  I didn't actually hem the fabric because that would require too much work I figured the candle wasn't going to really go anywhere or get handled much so just an ironed in hem would be fine.




Next I rolled the candle up in the fabric and ironed about a 1" hem on the end so you wouldn't see an unfinished edge.




I grabbed some upholstery tacks leftover from another project and used them to secure the fabric in place around the candle.




Oh how I wished I had some brown leather buttons to glue on top of those tacks!  Maybe today while my husband is at work I will check out the rest of his wardrobe and see if I can steal some!




I put the candle back into the glass holder it was in and rested it on top of a pedestal.  I added some little pine cones I bought last year at Hobby Lobby.




Since the sleeve was longer than the candle circumference (wow, that's a big word for me!!), I had a little piece of fabric left over.  I squared it up, ironed in a hem and placed it under this votive holder to tie my vignette together.



So here is my dressed candle!  (I sure hope my husband does not recognize his shirt today!)  To complete the vignette I added some Fall colored books, a frame with a pic of my mother and her sisters as kids, and I scattered a few pine cones around just because I had them out and didn't want to get up and put them away.


Now my candle is dressed and ready for fall!



I am participating in the following parties:
(Click a link to check out all the creative projects entered)






Show and Tell Green

Get Your Craft On Tuesday

Fall Nesting at The Inspired Room 

Photobucket

14 comments:

Krista@thegatheringplacedesign said...

So cute! I love that fabric for fall and love that it was a shirt...great thinking! I did something similar with burlap and buttons, but the flannel makes it so fall-ish and cozy. :)

Richella said...

That is SO CUTE! What a great way to dress a candle. I hope your husband doesn't miss that shirt. If he does, he can find comfort in the fact that it was sacrificed for a good purpose! :)

Sailing Simply said...

Very cute idea! You have given me some great inspiration! Thanks!

Jerri said...

That is cute! And it goes so well with your other stuff!

I would love for you to come by this week and link up at my Friday Favorites party!

Karen said...

Such a cute idea. I'll have to start holding on to old shirts, I never would have thought of this!

PC said...

What a fun idea! I have several candles that have stains or whatever on them and this would make them still useable in display - thanks for sharing, Paula from Idaho
http://bucketsofideasforfall.blogspot.com/

this blessed nest said...

i love the flannel for Fall. great idea. endless possibilities with those upholstery pins. i tell ya!

thanks for linking up to the FALL FESTIVAL!

kellie

{ The Painted Home } said...

adorable! -denise

Lisa said...

Darn it! My husband doesn't have any plaid flannel shirts! Off to the fabric store! Thanks for the visit!

Melanie {The Tiny Tudor} said...

I really like this idea! It's like when the crisp cool air of Fall hits, even the candle puts on a warm little sweater. Very cute and creative!

Patti said...

I love that. I have a naked candle in front of me right now..just screaming for one of my husbands shirts!!! Hmmmmm....tonight when he's sleeping!! lol ;-)
Great idea!!
Patti

Vee said...

That's the cutest idea!

Sharon@KeenInspirations said...

Hi,
I found your link over at This Blessed Nest while looking for fall inspiration. I love how you dressed your candle...in a shirt! ;-)
I’m hosting a CSN Stores Giveaway as well as a “console table” linky party. I’d love for you to link up your table and enter the giveaway!
http://keeninspirations.blogspot.com/2010/09/csn-giveaway-linky-party-and-question.html
It’s open til Friday the 8th at midnight.
Happy Fall!
Sharon

northern cottage said...

eeek - that is fabulous and I'm so digging the plaid!