Sunday, September 26, 2010

Thrift Store Clock turned into Beautiful Picture Frame

The yard sale is over and I am FINALLY able to get back to some fun stuff! 

A couple of weeks ago I found this clock at GW for only $3.  It is made of plastic and the clock part no longer works but I just knew I could turn it into something beautiful...


This is what my thrifty find looks like know - all dressed in white, distressed, glazed and proudly holding a picture of my husband's mother and her sister as young girls.  I just love how it turned out!!   Read on to see how I did it:


First I removed the clear plastic cover from the front, tore out the clock part, and gave it a coat of Krylon Fusion paint made especially for plastic.  You can't tell after just one coat but the color is a pretty ivory.


After giving it two more light coats of paint and letting it dry completely, I used some 180 grit sandpaper to distress the edges, letting some of that beautiful brown plastic show through.  I then pulled out my Valspar mocha glaze and brushed it on pretty thick, then wiped most of it away until it looked like this:

I just wanted the glaze to settle into some of the crevices to bring the detail out a bit.  I love the way it turned out!  (Sorry my picture makes it look blue - don't know why but remember I am NOT a professional photographer!!)


This is a close up of the top.  You can really see the distressing and the glaze in this shot.

While the glaze dried I went inside to get my picture ready.  Using Print Shop 23.1 (my most favorite graphics program!!) I prepared my photo for printing:


I decided to give the photograph a sepia tone, added a turquoise and brown circle around the cropped photo, then added some cute embellishments to the corners.  I then printed it out onto matt photo paper.


I used the original beat to death because I couldn't get it out clock face to create a template out of a sheet of clear laminating paper I had on hand.  (It is hard to see in this photo but the cut out template is laying at the top right corner of the old clock face.)


I then laid the clear template over the photo and traced it with a pencil so I could cut it to size.


I used my best loved Fiskars paper trimmer to cut just inside the pencil line, then attached the photo into the clock where the old clock face used to be.


I replaced the clear cover on the front and volah, here she is all ready to go home to the guest bathroom right next to my beloved Ronson table lighter collection!  (And in front of the ugliest lamp I own that is just screaming to be replaced!!)



Want one last look at where she started....


Now I call that a makeover!  Not bad for $3, a tiny bit of glaze and about a third of a can of paint!

I am going to link this to the following parties - be sure to click on over to check out all the other projects this week!



The DIY Show OffPhotobucketUndertheTableandDreamingChic on a Shoestring Decorating
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up           party!















 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/


Making









22 comments:

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

This is adorable! What a cute frame the clock case made. Love it!
Hugs, Sherry

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

That looks great. So much better than the clock and I am going to have to learn how to do photos like that.

Debbie said...

that is really neat!
The tape is called heavy duty mounting tape. Came in a large red roll, it was pricey about 15.00 a roll...however worth every dime. The liquid nails can be used for moldings too, however, you have to stand there or have something hold it up for a long time before it sets, then when you put the other piece on, it falls off...a royal pain in the BUTT!

Sandy@Life Began In A Garden said...

Wow, great job. I would never have thought to turn an old plastic clock into a lovely frame!

Elizabeth said...

So cute and creative! Great idea!

Lindy said...

I love this idea. I've been looking for an old clock for a different project -- you see them all the time in Goodwill -- but, no, not when I need one. Now when I find one I will not know which project to do I like yours so much!

Pat said...

What a great idea! I love that you repurposed the clock into such a pretty accent piece.

Kathy said...

I love this idea --Now I have to keep on the lookout for an old clock that does not work --

Lallee said...

Great idea! And I love how you painted the clock. Nicely done!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Outstanding job on this makeover...love it!

Blessings,
Linda

Merrie said...

Very clever of you and it turned out so pretty!

Chrissie said...

This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing it!

Kim said...

Absolutely fabulous! I haven't seen this idea before, you did a wonderful job and used the perfect photo :).

Dragonfly Treasure said...

Just beautiful!
*hugs*deb

Vanessa said...

Hey! I love that clock! So creative and clever of you! I wanted to let you know that I haven't forgotten about the Versatile Blogger thing and that I'm hoping to get a post up about it this week! I have had a back-log of posts and then out of state guests so life has been crazy but I love the idea and am now trying to think of things about myself to share that won't scare people away!
Vanessa

The Cozy Cape said...

Wow!! I would never have guessed that it is PLASTIC! That's awesome!

I'm now your latest follower!

Natasha said...

It is wonderful! You are so clever to even think of creating something like this. I love it!

Best wishes,
Natasha.

Judy @ In His Grip said...

Such a creative way to use an old clock. I have to keep this one in mind.

Taija said...

This is so cute! Isn't it so satisfying to execute a great idea and have it turn out so awesome! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Very sweet! I'm going back to GW to get the unworking fancy 99cent one I passed up 2days ago! You're so creative, couldn't you find a pleasant turquois and bronze solution for the lamp? :) Happy crafting! <3

Debbie said...

Just wanted to mention every Friday I have my thrift party...would love for you to join...this was great find and great project.

Barbara Jean said...

I'm totally impressed!!

Thanks for all the info on how to do your projects.

blessings

barbara jean