The yard sale is over and I am FINALLY able to get back to some fun stuff!
A couple of weeks ago I found this clock at GW for only $3. It is made of plastic and the clock part no longer works but I just knew I could turn it into something beautiful...
This is what my thrifty find looks like know - all dressed in white, distressed, glazed and proudly holding a picture of my husband's mother and her sister as young girls. I just love how it turned out!! Read on to see how I did it:
First I removed the clear plastic cover from the front, tore out the clock part, and gave it a coat of Krylon Fusion paint made especially for plastic. You can't tell after just one coat but the color is a pretty ivory.
After giving it two more light coats of paint and letting it dry completely, I used some 180 grit sandpaper to distress the edges, letting some of that beautiful brown plastic show through. I then pulled out my Valspar mocha glaze and brushed it on pretty thick, then wiped most of it away until it looked like this:
I just wanted the glaze to settle into some of the crevices to bring the detail out a bit. I love the way it turned out! (Sorry my picture makes it look blue - don't know why but remember I am NOT a professional photographer!!)
This is a close up of the top. You can really see the distressing and the glaze in this shot.
While the glaze dried I went inside to get my picture ready. Using Print Shop 23.1 (my most favorite graphics program!!) I prepared my photo for printing:
I decided to give the photograph a sepia tone, added a turquoise and brown circle around the cropped photo, then added some cute embellishments to the corners. I then printed it out onto matt photo paper.
I used the original
beat to death because I couldn't get it out clock face to create a template out of a sheet of clear laminating paper I had on hand. (It is hard to see in this photo but the cut out template is laying at the top right corner of the old clock face.)
I then laid the clear template over the photo and traced it with a pencil so I could cut it to size.
I used my best loved Fiskars paper trimmer to cut just inside the pencil line, then attached the photo into the clock where the old clock face used to be.
I replaced the clear cover on the front and volah, here she is all ready to go home to the guest bathroom right next to my beloved Ronson table lighter collection! (And in front of the ugliest lamp I own that is just screaming to be replaced!!)
Want one last look at where she started....
Now I call that a makeover! Not bad for $3, a tiny bit of glaze and about a third of a can of paint!
I am going to link this to the following parties - be sure to click on over to check out all the other projects this week!