Sunday, October 3, 2010

Drab to FAB Candlestick Makeover

I have had this set of candlesticks for a while, I like them but I have never really loved them.  So, today they got a long awaited makeover.  I can't wait to tell you about it!  This is how they looked before and....


And, ta-da, this is how they look today.  Big change, huh?  I just love it when a plan comes together, don't you?  I am going to enter this in the DIY Club contest here.  If you want to know how I did it read on...


First I gave them a couple (or three?) coats of American Accents Heirloom White spray paint.  Love this color - just a pretty creamy white.  I used to could find this at Walmart but lately I have had to buy it a Hobby Lobby.


After the paint was good and dry I brought them inside to glaze them.  Like many of you out there in bloggersville I used my go to glaze Valspar Mocha.


I used a smallish brush to give it a good coat of glaze, working it into the small details on the candlesticks. 


I then used a way too small t-shirt that I cut up to wipe it off everywhere except in the areas I really wanted to stand out.  I know it seems wasteful to put on so much then wipe it back off but really it is the only way I know to do it.



This is the look I was going for - just a subtle hit of glaze around those gorgeous details.


Next I pulled out my new Gorilla Glue and glued some vases I had on hand to the top of the candlesticks. I used to use E6000 for most everything but I learned from some of you that this Gorilla Glue is like the Glue of all Glues! This is my second time to use it and I really do think it is easier to deal with.


I put a circle of glue around the top edge of the candlesticks, dampened the bottom of the vases, then put the two together.  I put a couple of heavy books on top and let them dry for 2 hours per the directions on the glue bottle. 


Now they are in the guest bathroom next to the clock turned picture frame project I showed you last week.  If you missed it you can find it here.  In that post I told you I needed to replace the lamp and now I have done it!  I added some pine cones and berry garland just to dress them for fall.

Here is the close-up shot again.  I think I am in love. (Can I really be in love with a pair of candlesticks?) 


And here is another look at the before.  Do you have a pair of candlesticks just waiting for a makeover?  Pull out your spray paint and glaze and hop to it girl!

Hope y'all come back soon!

I am linking up to the following:
UndertheTableandDreaming
Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap  up           party!

Photobucket





















The Girl Creative


And to Polly Want A Crafter's New Link Party here



Making

 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/









DIY Club

24 comments:

Laurie said...

Wonderful job! Lovely, lovely, lovely!!!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Jennifer, those look great. My favorite glaze, too.

Kendall said...

Really nice- great job!

-Kendall
{songbirdsandbuttons.blogspot.com}

Sailing Simply said...

I love the makeover you did on these. They look wonderful! Very pretty fall candle setting too!

Richie's 2ts Inspires said...

Such an inspiring job for me to see you enjoying re-doing.

I have 2 candlesticks, I guess I have to do that.

TY for the inspiration and have a great Monday & week ahead.

Greetings from chilly Stockholm,
/chie

Susan said...

I AM SO GOING TO TRY THIS WHEN I GET SETTLED IN MY NEW HOUSE!!

~Tablescapes By Diane~ said...

Hi lovely lady. I love your candlesticks redos ~~~ I am going to make them you did wonderful job.

Linda said...

Fabulous. You are so talented.

Catherine said...

Beautiful! Very well done, and great idea with the vases on top of the candlesticks. I may have to borrow that idea for myself!

Dragonfly Treasure said...

Gorgeous!!
*hugs*deb

Kim said...

Adding the vases was a wonderful idea. You get the pretty display area of the glass. It looks great with your repurposed clock frame.

Miki said...

They turned out great, a gorgeous makeover! Miki

Barbara Jean said...

I'm in love with them too!
And, you clock frame.
Great jobs

blessings

barbara jean

Terry said...

Definitely a great makeover! Very pretty!

Michelle said...

Wow I love them! They look so great!!

- Michelle @ Bunch of Craft

Kalina said...

The candlesticks are so much prettier now, and I love your whole bathroom display area there!

I have to find some candlesticks now to paint!

Never Enough Thyme Creations said...

Great job! Love the thought of adding a hurricane to the holders!

Lil-Rosi said...

Very pretty! It looks great! Nice work!

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Really pretty. You can use them for more then candles too!

Its So Very Cheri said...

Those are gorgeous. You did a great job,

Thanks for linking up. We look forward to getting to know you and seeing more and more of your projects.

Cheri

ALVN of WhisperWood Cottage and Junkologie said...

Drab to fab is right! Great transformation!! Thanks for linking up to the DIY Project Party monthly contest! :)

Amy

Holly said...

So pretty! Yes, you can be in love with candlesticks. These are great! Love that glaze.

The DIY Show Off said...

Beautiful! You did a great job! Thanks for sharing the technique!
Have a great week!

Roeshel

~Tablescapes By Diane~ said...

Hi lovely lady. I just move your blog to my Tablescapes By Diane. I love your Blog. you are so good with all the Great Ideas you have. Have a look at my blog if you can.