Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Goodbye Gold - Hello ORB + Metallic Glaze!


My foyer is long and skinny.  Seriously, it is about 11 feet long and only about 3&1/2 feet wide.  It is so hard to get a good picture of it, and it doesn't help that my mirror is kind of foggy and old (I actually like it that way!).  Any hows, see that gold thingy hanging over the mirror?  I used to love it back when brass was really hot.  Now, like the wallpaper border above it (that I am trying so hard not to let you see) it is time for a little update.  So.....


I broke out my fave ORB spray paint and went to town in the front yard.  I knew I didn't want it ALL to be ORB so after the paint was dry....


I broke out this antique gold looking metallic glaze I found at Hobby Lobby and...


I brushed it on with a little brush, then wiped it off everywhere I didn't want it with an old t-shirt.


This is how it looked when I finished glazing it.  See all those great details?  I love how the gold glaze just hi-lights them.  Understated, like a pearl necklace & oh so much more elegant now that it is not all gold! 


It is just a little update but it makes me feel so good!  I don't know why I didn't do it earlier - it only took a few minutes of actual work time and what an improvement!


You can see it a little better in this photo but, oops, you can also see a little edge of the outdated border!  Now that you have seen it I am more motivated than ever to get it down!  Maybe I will do that this week!

Thanks for stopping by today! Be sure to check out the link parties below and for sure stop by the DIY Club's Monthly Contest!

I am linking to the following:


Today's Creative Blog's Get Your Craft on Tuesday

Sugar Bee Crafts Edition's Take-A-Look Tuesday

Thrifty Decor Chick's Before and After Party

Coastal Charm's Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays

Its So Very Cheri's Its So Very Creative

Domestically Speaking's Power of Paint Party  

Someday Crafts' Whatever Goes Wednesday

The Shabby Chic Cottage:  Transformation Thursdays  
DIY Club

17 comments:

Jane said...

It looks fabulous - much better now! Amazing how a small change can make such a big difference. Great job!

Tony and Kimra said...

looks waaay better! great job!

Kimra
http://crafty-cove.blogspot.com
htp://kimraskreations.blogspot.com

Suesan said...

I just bought some Rub 'n Buff and took it for a test drive on one of my ORB pieces. Oh. My. Gorgeous! I'm so in love with this that I literally had to screw the lid back on the tube of Rub 'n Buff and put it away before the obsession overtook me and I ended up rubbing and buffing and ORB-ing everything in site!

This looks great and good luck with that border.

http://froufrugal.blogspot.com

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

Beautiful!!!! I love it! Looks fantastic - don't you just LOVE ORB! :) I could write a sonnet!

Whimsical Creations said...

Looks fantastic!

Michelle said...

I am so not a fan of gold either and love what you did with this

Rebecca said...

What a change-love the contrast!

Colleen @ MuralMaker&More said...

You're crackin' me up with the border! Now I'm dying to see it, heehee.

The shell thingie (I actually used to know the architectural term for them) looks like it was made that way - with ORB and highlights. Great job!!!

Would love for you to stop by Sunday and link up to Passion for Paint!

Shanarun said...

It is so fun to re-do something you already have! Great results.

Its So Very Cheri said...

Hurry over and enter this into www.thediyclub.com monthly party. It ends this week. You uised one of our sponsor products so it qualifies.

The prize package is $1500

Cheri

Pam said...

Such a simple thing to do and it adds so much more style. Great job you did!

- Brittany said...

That looks so much better! Love that ORB look.

Thanks for sharing.

Brittany
http://www.prettyhandygirl.com

Its So Very Cheri said...

It looks fabulous.

Grat job.

Thanks for linking up. We look forward to getting to know you and seeing more and more of your projects.

Cheri

ALVN of WhisperWood Cottage and Junkologie said...

Wow! The piece has such a richness to it now. Well done! Thanks for linking up to the DIY Project Party monthly contest! :)

Amy

Holly said...

The glaze adds so much...I LOVE that glaze and use it all the time is all kinds of colors. Thanks for joining the DIY Club party!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Ann Marie - Another gorgeous finish! I really like all of the Deco Art Elegant finishes - what a wonderful way to use this one! Thanks so much for linking up! Hope you have a wonderful week! Stephanie Lynn

The DIY Show Off said...

ORB is one of my favorites and I love it paired with your metallic technique! It's beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing! :)

Happy fall!

Roeshel