Friday, October 15, 2010

How to make water bottle labels

I have been so busy this week I haven't had a chance to work on any of my MANY waiting home decor projects.  Hopefully I will get to something next week.  I have been out of town part of the past two weeks and I am leaving dear hubby at home alone again this weekend so I can visit my daughter and attend a baby shower.

Anyhows, I get lots of requests from friends and family to make custom water bottle labels like these...


And I thought I would do a quick tutorial to show you how to make your own!

There is more than one way to make custom water bottles - I make them in two ways depending on how much time I have to work on them.  I made these using purchased, water resistant vinyl labels.  The other way is to print them on plain paper, cut each one out, laminate them and use double sided tape to stick them on.  For this tutorial I am going to use the first method.




What you will need for this project:

 NOTE:  This project does require some knowledge of working with graphics, which I know many of you have.
  • software to design your labels.  (You can use Microsoft word, photoshop, or any other program that allows you to work with graphics, text and templates.)  I use my most favorite program, Print Shop by Broderbund.  I started with their first version MANY years ago and now use version 23.1!  I highly recommend this program (and no, I do not own stock or have a relative that works for them!!)
  • a color printer - ink jet or laser
  • water bottles (I used Aquafina but any will do)
  • labels for your type printer and to fit your water bottles (I order mine from www.labelsbythesheet.com but I am sure you can find other sources.). Make sure you order labels specifically for water bottles because they are water resistant and designed to print at home.
Instructions:

(I hope I can do this - it is all in my head and not always easy to put into words!!!)




1.     Measure around the center of the water bottle you want to use to see how long your label needs to be.  Then measure the maximum width your label can be. 

 
2.     Order labels to fit your bottle.  For my Aquafina bottle the best size was the 2" by 8" labels, that come 5 to a sheet.  I needed to make 40 labels but I ordered an extra sheet because I always mess a couple up!


3.     Download the template for your label size from the website your order from. You can download it in a .pdf format or a word document format.


4.     Design your label.  For the label in the picture I scanned the blank invitation to use for the center then added a matching border and other info I wanted on the label.  Here is a screen shot of my label in print shop and of each of the 3 elements added:





5.    Once your label is like you want it you can cut and paste it into your template.  If you are using Word you can design your label right in the template.  Below is a picture of my template with labels added (I blacked out the last name because this is the internet!!):
6.     Then print your label out onto plain white paper, lay it on top of your water bottle label paper and hold it up to the light to make sure it is all lined up ok.  Trust me, skipping this step can cause heartache when you go to print your labels and find they didn't line up right!


7.     Now, print your labels on your label paper.  It is important that you know how this water resistant vinyl works so here is the info:  the vinyl seals in the ink you are using, thus making the ink water resistant.  I use a photo quality ink jet printer which uses more ink than the labels can seal in.  Therefore, after printing my labels I always do a quick spray coat of Krylon Preserve it to keep the ink from running.  You may not need to do this step - after printing and attaching your first label to a bottle put it under the faucet and run some water over it.  If the ink does not run you are set to go!  If it does, run to Hobby Lobby and by some Preserve It.  A short can is all you will need to do many label projects.


8.     Remove the existing label from the bottle and attach your printed labels.


9.     You are now a water bottle label maker! 

After you make labels a few times it is amazing how easy it becomes!  

I know this is not the sort of thing I normally post about but hey, variety is the spice of life!  Have fun and email me with any questions!  (j p hamilton 60 at gmail . com)

4 comments:

Life in Rehab said...

With all the bottled water we go through at get togethers, this would be great. Thanks!

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Hi,

I came herre from Sunny's

This is such a great idea with so many applications. Love it. Thanks for the tutorial.

lisbonlioness said...

Good idea! I think I might just have to give it a shot. Thanks Sunny for sending me over!

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

What a cute idea this is! I have never come across water bottles like this. Years ago I made my own candy bar wrappers...but these are more practical and fun! Great idea!