Sunday, November 28, 2010

PB Knock-off Candle & Candlestick Re-do


A quick and easy Sunday morning makeover - just what I was looking for on this cold day in the south!

It all started when I first saw these sheet music candles in the Pottery Barn catalog:

I knew immediately I wanted to do something similar at home.  So...

I pulled these old ugly brass candlesticks out of my garage sale stash and got to work transforming them into updated ORB candlestands for my soon-to-be-made sheet music candles.  I began by rubbing them down with lacquer thinner to give them a good cleaning and to remove any existing top coat.  

I then gave them a couple of good coats of Krylon Oil Rubbed Bronze (ORB) paint...

And then removed the little taper candle cups from the top by simply unscrewing them and replacing the bolt. 

Next I downloaded the sheet music in wide format from here
per instructions I found on Can't Stop Making Things blog here.
 
I didn't care for the white background so I pulled the sheet music picture into Corel Paint Shop Pro and changed the background to a slightly yellow color.  I then "squished" the picture a little to make it shorter but left the width in tact.  I printed two copies of the sheet music out onto plain paper, trimmed to the size I needed and used two sided tape to attach them to my two white pillar candles.


Because the bolt left in the middle of each candleholder kept the candles from sitting level I used the end of my trusty potato peeler to carve out a little indention in the center of each candle (aren't we fellow bloggers resourceful!). 


 
I tied a red ribbon around each candle and woo-lah... I now have two sheet music candles on garage sale candlestands all decked out for Christmas!

I am going to link these up to the following parties:

Its So Very Cheri's Party Time
Under the Table and Dreaming's Sunday Showcase Party
  Domestically Speaking's Countdown to Christmas Party

The DIY Show Off

Cottage Instincts' Make it 4 Monday
Keeping it Simple's Motivate me Monday
Making the World Cuter Monday  










Coastal Charm's Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays
The Girl Creative's Just Something I Whipped Up-Holiday Style!
Savvy Southern Style's Boring to Better Party



33 comments:

Mrs Lemon said...

Love it! I really would love to know if someone would post a tutorial for those sheet music stars they have in the PB catalog too :)

Anne at Oh My Yes! said...

Clever! and a beautiful result! saw these over at the Sunday Showcase...

It's A Priceless Life said...

These turn out really wonderful!! I need to get a hold of some candlesticks...I am lovin' that look!! It's amazing what a coat of paint will do!!
I'm your newest follower...come check out my blog when you have a chance :-)
Shantel @
www.itsapricelesslife.blogspot.com

Samantha said...

Really really nice!!

Melissa Miller said...

Jennifer oh my gracious are they ever GORGEOUS! Stunning work. I'm going to try them as well.

Thank you for your sweet comment tonight. You're a kind bloggy friend and I appreciate you.

Blessings to you this week.
Warmly, ~Melissa :)

The Answer Is Chocolate said...

Fantastic. I now walk through Pottery Barn looking at the other customers wondering who's a blogger in there getting ideas.

The Inspired Nest said...

The candles and transformed candlesticks look great! I just mod podged some candles today too!
I really think yours looks better than PB!
Lacy

Lindy said...

Great job on your candlesticks and candles. They look like they were meant to be that way! I'm so glad you liked the painting!

DanielleisNesting said...

Oh la la! I love it! Gorgeous.

Kristi said...

Great knockoff! Yours look better! :-)

~ The Speckled Dog

Gail said...

I'm so excited to see that you used my downloads and tutorial to make a pair of fabulous candles. So many people have inspired me and I'm thrilled to know that I have inspired you.

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Love these...so glad that I stopped by...

Susannah said...

Using the ribbon was a perfect holiday touch! A different colored ribbon could transform these from Christmas candles to all-seasons candles!

www.uvinyl.com
www.uvinyl.blogspot.com

Simone @ Doberman's by the Sea said...

Well done! The Bavarian Christmas linky party is now open-won’t you come and join us at http://dobermans-by-the-sea.blogspot.com/2010/11/1st-christmas-linky-party-at-dobermans.html

Way to repurpose stuff.

Megan Lee said...

These look great! I love it!

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage said...

Lovely!! I am partial to sheet music!!

Your Frugal Friend, Niki said...

Amazing PB re-creation!

I made a PB knockoff Christmas wreath..come check it out.

http://www.free2befrugal.com/2010/11/very-dollar-store-pottery-bar-christmas.html

Sylvia said...

absolutely gorgeous!!!

Sylvia

Barbara Jean said...

love these!
blessings

barbara jean

Life in Rehab said...

I'll bet that extra ton of money you saved feels really good, and they turned out very professionally.

Peggy said...

I was drooling over those music candles in the new PB catalog and after I saw your post immediately made one and was so delighted with the results that I will make one for all my friends. Thanks for sharing!! Peggy from PA

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Those turned out great and look at all the money you saved. Thanks so much for joining the party!

Wendy said...

Great transformation! Going to go to the thrift store tomorrow in search of some candle sticks. I never thought of painting brass candlesticks! Thanks for the inspiration :)
Wendy

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Love the make overs! I have some brass candle holders and sconces that I want to use the ORB on. Thanks for the info.

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

My kind of project! Frugal and fancy!!! Love how these turned out. Great job and thanks for sharing your ideas!

FrouFrouBritches said...

I love this! I'm gonna be on the lookout for some thrift store candlesticks. Love the music print and aren't you smart to use your potato peeler? Brilliant!

Kelly said...

I found you through Motivate Me Monday...these are lovely! And the red ribbon really makes them pop. I'm your newest follower!

Kelly

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Love the candlesticks AND candles! I've been playing with candles, too and hope to do a tutorial soon! Happy holidays! ♥

alittlefrenchloven said...

Wow what a transformation on the candle sticks, they are lovely! When I seen the first picture, I would have never guessed they were what they were. LOL Great job, and the candles are too cute! Love em.

Santa's Gift Shoppe and Ideas said...

Hi
Just wanted to let you know that I “ Featured” you on Santa’s Gift Shoppe Blog Hop today for your great project & inspiration! Be sure to grab the “I was featured” on Santa’s Gift Shoppe Button/Code for your sidebar! You deserve it! Thanks so much..If you’re not a follower already we’d love for you to join us...
Barb

Mrs Lemon said...

I added your link on my blogroll :)

Jen said...

I love those candles!
This is another project I'm gonna have to add to my to do list!

Vivian said...

Beautiful!

Newest follow on GFC, Follow back at http://closertolucy.blogspot.com/