Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thanksgiving Table & Dining Room Tour


I am a little late with this post but I wanted to share my Thanksgiving table with y'all.  I went pretty simple this year because I was lazy & cheap because I wanted to use items I already had on hand.

Our dining room is rather large because it used to be a two car garage.  That's ok, I love the size and I can usually accommodate our entire family in one room by setting up an additional table.  This year I used my new drop leaf table  I found at an antique shop here in Huntsville as my 2nd table.

This is our main table.  I used a simple white tablecloth and draped three burlap squares with fringed edges over it.  I sat 10 at this table and 4 at the drop leaf table in the corner.

I really wanted to buy woven chargers at Pottery Barn (be still my heart!) but at over $10 each I opted for these from Walmart instead.  I like the texture they add to the table and I love the fact that at only $2 each my budget wasn't blown before I even bought the turkey!  I used my Lenox Eternal china  plates (which left my china cabinet kind of bare) and my Reed & Barton Country French flatware.  I don't own real silverware so I reserve my best flatware for special occasions.



For added color I placed a could-of-been-better-ironed red napkin under each plate and some red silk sunflower blooms to the gourd centerpiece to tie it all together. 


I found these large glass hurricanes at a thrift store and placed them over my milk glass candleholders and on top of a salad plate. I love to find treasures like this at thrift stores!!!


Oh how I wish I didn't have to use card table chairs at my second table!  One day I will have extra real wood chairs!  This is our 2nd table all decked out for four.  I didn't want it to look just like the big table so I used this plaid tablecloth and tied it to the big table with the gourd centerpiece set on top of a brown charger.  The sconces on the wall behind the table are another thrift market find.  At only $4 each I thought they were a bargain!




You can see the centerpiece a little better in this picture. Gourds and pumpkins just scream FALL to me!

Now for the rest of the dining room...

I love this oil painting I bought from a dear friend. Don't you just want to walk right into that vineyard and eat some grapes?  (Better yet, take a bottle of wine and plop down on a picnic blanket and just enjoy the scenery!!)


Up until a few days ago there was just a big blank spot where these 4 frames are hanging now.  It took me a long time to find something interesting to hang there!  Then I came across an OLD family letter - dated 1893 written by my husbands great, great, great grandfather to his son - and I knew I wanted to display it!  So, into the attic I went and found these 4 simple frames, I scanned the 4 sides of the letter and framed each one.  I could not be happier with the final look!


This is a close up of the first page of the letter.  I think it is amazing that it survived 117 years!


This little side table sits to the left of the windows, on the opposite side from where the framed letter hangs.  I really am not in love with this table but for now it will have to do!  I DO love this set of lidded apothecary jars I bought at Costco several years ago - they are so versatile!



This picture was taken looking across the dining room table towards the wall with windows.  I had the window treatment custom made many years ago and while I still love the toile I would like to update them with some panels.  So many things I want to do... so little time and money to do them with!! (Am I alone with this thought???)


So that's our Thanksgiving table and our dining room tour.  Thanks for stopping by - y'all come back soon!

I am participating in the following link parties:


French Country Cottage's Feathered Nest Friday here
The Shabby Nest's Frugal Friday here
Chic on a Shoestring's Flaunt it Friday here

8 comments:

Debra said...

Everything was lovely, as always! You are a wonderful hostess. xoxo

Deserae said...

Your dining room is stunning...I can't believe you had everything already on hand! Love the framed letter too....
~Des

Joyce @ Quilted Nest said...

Very rich looking and elegant. Way to go! Hope everyone appreciated it and gave you plenty of compliments!

Moogie said...

I'm your newest happy follower. http://moogieland.blogspot.com/

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Very nice and I am sure everyone enjoyed the work you put into it.

Sharing Shadymont said...

I love your decor, so clean and elegant!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

What a lovely setting~ your tablescape is beautiful as is your entire room! Thank you for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

Sailing Simply said...

Jennifer, it looks like you had a lovely Thanksgiving dinner. I love your whole setting. I really like the burlap squares over the white tablecloth. It is very peaceful looking, as is your whole dining room to me. I also like your oil painting and the framed letter is the best. I would have never thought of that, but what a treasure you have!