Monday, January 24, 2011

My "fake" kitchen microwave hood

Since I posted about my oak kitchen update in August (read about it here), I have received several request for info about my "fake" microwave hood.  In response to your questions I have taken some additional pictures.
 

In my kitchen I do not have an over abundance of counter space so my microwave/ fan/ light combo is mounted over my stove.  This is really functional but I have always wished I could put the microwave somewhere else and have a grand hood built over my stove. So, when our cabinet maker suggested a "fake" hood over the microwave I was "all in"!


Before my kitchen cabinets were updated with new paint and trim, I had cabinets over the microwave.  This was fine but it really lacked personality.


 When the microwave "hood" was built and installed it really spiced things up.  Now my cabinets looked newer and more stylish!  I love my kitchen now and love to look back at old pics to see just how far it has come! 


My microwave is the vent-less kind (it is not vented through roof), but it does blow air out the top.  Since I didn't want the hood to just be hollow, I had a thin piece of board cut to fit in the opening above the microwave.

 
In this picture you can see the board inside the hood - it has slits cut into it so the air that blows out the top of the microwave can still go up into the empty hood.

Below are some additional views of the microwave hood.  If anyone needs more info just email me!


I have been lazy since the holidays and have many, many projects waiting for me to get my groove back.  Please be patient with me - I promise to be posting more very soon!

Thanks for stopping by y'all!!


9 comments:

Natasha said...

Wow, that looks wonderful! Your kitchen looks so gorgeous-I love the colour of your cabinetry!

Best wishes,
Natasha.

Blogging by Pictures said...

looks amazing! :)

⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜ said...

That is awesome...I would love that look over my stove.

CAS said...

That is such a clever idea. I think a lot of have the microwave/exhaust system over our ranges (mine is vented outside), but have never seen this kind of treatment before. Love it!
CAS

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Jennifer, What a beautiful solution for adding interest to your kitchen. I love this!
Hugs,
Sherry

CAS said...

That is such an awesome idea. So many of us have those microwave-hoods and this is a great idea to add more style. Thanks for being so clever and for sharing that cleverness.
CAS

Patti said...

LOVE that! Love your cabinet color too!! You really are clever! It looks so rich! Great job!

Caramel Butterscotch said...

This is very nice. Great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Middle TN Homeschool Prom said...

Love it!! I have the same set up in my kitchen and I've been waiting for someone to come up with a grand hood design for us! Thanks so much for sharing!!! Angie