Monday, September 22, 2014

Simple Fall Lantern

Don't you just love Fall?  I know I do. I love the colors, the smells, the sound of leaves crunching underneath my shoes.  And I love how easy it is to decorate for the Fall Season!

Like this simple Fall lantern!  I bought the lantern at Hobby Lobby for $19 when they were 50% off.  I love the colors of the rusty metal, and the simplicity of the design.  I new it would be perfect sitting on my kitchen island!

To make this lantern you will need to gather your supplies:  a lantern (doesn't have to be just like mine), some artificial fall leaves, twin or jute string, burlap ribbon, a battery operated candle, scissors, and a hot glue gun.  You probably have most of these items already!

First cut a piece of burlap long enough to go around your candle and overlap just a little.

Then cut a piece of string long enough to wrap around your candle three times plus have enough to tie in a double knot.


Next lay your burlap ribbon on a piece of foil and begin gluing your leaves down.  It doesn't take much glue - just enough to hold the leaf on the ribbon or on top of the other leaves.

Be sure to mix up the colors and turn the leaves random ways.  It is ok if a little burlap shows through.  Every once in a while, peel the ribbon up to "un-stick" it from the foil.

When you get to the end of the ribbon it will look similar to the picture above.  You are now ready to pick the whole thing up and wrap it around your candle! 


Don't worry if the ribbon is not straight at this point.  Just wrap your cut string around three times and tie in a double knot being sure to cut the excess off (Ieft about 1/2 inch of string on each end.)  After cutting the string you can adjust the leaf covered ribbon until it looks right.  Remember, it does not have to be perfect!!!


Then place your candle in the center of your wreath and woe-la!  you have a simple fall lantern you can place almost anywhere!



For now I have mine next to a dough bowl filled with honey-crisp apples on my kitchen island.  But...who knows where it will end up! 

I hope you enjoyed this little tutorial!  

Thanks for stopping by!

Hugs xxoo!

Jennifer 

Linking up to the following parties:

Show & Share over at Coastal Charm
Inspire Me Tuesday over at A Stroll Thru Life

1 comment:

thepaintedapron.com said...

oh I love quick projects like this! What a great idea!
Jenna